Peer and Support Recovery Services
Peer support is many things, and often dependent upon the needs of the individual being served. It is:
- Delivered by individuals who have common lived experiences of recovery.
- Based on shared connection and understanding of experiences.
- Able to lessen feelings of isolation, increase practical knowledge, and sustain coping efforts.
- Available to individuals throughout their levels of care.
- Support, strength, and most importantly, hope, which allows for personal growth, wellness, and recovery.
A Peer and Recovery Support Specialist (PRSS) is someone with lived experience of behavioral health and/or substance use recovery who has received specialized training on how to use their experience to help others. A PRSS works with individuals during their recovery journey, sharing skills, coaching, and providing support.
To be employed as a PRSS in Arizona, individuals must complete an approved training program and pass a competency exam. Embark Recovery utilizes only certified PRSS staff to provide the best possible resources for the individuals we serve.